This 19th century Sunday school once accommodated 400 pupils from the local parish. Now it’s a modern home for a family of four.
Local architect Samuel Welman built The Rotunda from Bargate stone in 1883 to adjoin an existing congregational church – later turned into a restaurant.
An 11.5m-high dome caps the circular school room, designed to enable rows of pupils to see the teacher from all angles. This space now functions as an open-plan kitchen and living area, which is flooded with light via the original arched stone windows and skylights.
Upstairs, the property’s master and second en-suite bedroom divide off from the gallery level, whose decorated balustrades have been restored. Opposite, a second mezzanine doubles as a study.
Contemporary additions – such as two steel and wood spiral staircases – are sympathetic to the building’s period features. Also new are a bedroom, bathroom and utility room on the ground floor.
The Rotunda is set within the market town of Godalming, just four miles from Guildford and faces on to The Burys and surrounding countryside.
It’s on the market with Strutt & Parker for offers over £895,000.